The book begins with an introduction relating my own experiences before six main chapters take one part of the Psalm as a starting point. Each chapter is divided into a number of points that help us to better understand the Psalm. Finally, the book concludes with an epilogue which considers how we might find peace, worth and purpose in a busy world.
The main chapters are structured as follows:
Chapter One: The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
Three aspects of a shepherd’s role that help us to understand how God is our shepherd:
- Faithful provision of basic needs
- A personal relationship based on trust
- Protection at any cost.
Chapter Two: He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.
Three ways in which God brings peace to the lives of his people:
- God makes his people stop and rest
- God takes away the need for fear
- God gives his people genuine refreshment
Chapter Three: He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
Five points for following the right path through our lives:
- God’s will is good, pleasing and perfect
- We need to renew our minds
- God’s word illuminates our paths
- We should submit to God
- God wants us to display his character to all those around us
Chapter Four: Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.
Three points for understanding – and coping whilst we are in – the ‘darkest valley’:
- Dark times are inevitable
- We have a future hope
- God is with us in our suffering
Chapter Five: You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Three ways in which God demonstrates love for all of his people:
- God desperately wants us to spend time with him
- God withholds nothing from us
- God wants us to make peace with our enemies
Chapter Six: Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
Three amazing truths relating to God’s endless love for his people:
- God’s love is unconditional
- God’s love is eternal
- God calls on us to build his house.
For more information, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Links to buy: